Easter Leg of Lamb Wrapped in Leeks
- 1 six to eight pound bone in leg of lamb
- 5 leeks, chop off green tops and blanch
- 3-4 carrots, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 16 small new potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8-10 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ cup Realsalt
- ¼ cup coarse pepper
- ¼ cup fresh chopped rosemary
- ¼ cup fresh orange zest (2-3 oranges)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, orange zest and olive oil and make into a paste using a mortar and pestle. Rub the whole leg of lamb with the paste.
Blanch the leeks in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Wrap the leg of lamb in the leek tops, using olive oil to help the leeks adhere to the meat.
Set the lamb on a rack in a baking dish. Then add 1 cup water to the bottom of the baking dish.
Put the lamb in the oven and cook until the internal temperature of the meat is 135-140 degrees for medium rare—approximately 2½-3 hours. Add carrot pieces, potatoes, and leek tops about halfway through baking time, if desired, adding more water if needed.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before carving. The internal temperature will rise another 5-10 degrees. Carve lamb and serve surrounded with vegetables.
Serves 8 with leftovers for Lamb Curry or a Lamb Salad