Michelle Virtue with BYU Campus Craft & Floral shows us how to make these bags full of “purse”onality.
One of the things I love most about fresh flowers is their ability to take on all types of personalities, shapes, and styles. Making a purse out of flowers is an easy way to personalize a fresh bouquet. These floral hand bags make excellent gifts, decorations for showers, and smaller versions are the perfect place card holder turned favor.
• White or green Styrofoam shaped to suit custom size and shape. Use wet foam if you want the arrangement to last longer than 2-3 days OR if you are using more delicate flower varieties.
• Hot glue guns & glue sticks.
• Fresh flowers (cushion mums, buttons, carnations, and roses work best).
• Pins to secure handle.
• Accessories (pins, jewelry, scrapbooking embellishments, etc.)
1. Use dry or wet styrofoam to create a form or foundation for your handbag. Perhaps you are using an actually purse as inspiration. The possibilities are endless. Square bags are the quickest and simplest to construct, but with a little bit of practice any size or style is possible. TIP: if you are using wet foam, be sure that you have a waterproof base to prevent water damage. We love using a simple dinner plate, platter, or shallow plant liner.
2. Once you have sculpted your base, it’s time to begin adding the fresh flowers. We recommend that you use flat cushion mums (which come in a variety of colors) or button mums if using dry foam. These flowers are long-lasting, inexpensive, forgiving, and flat. Simply push a round toothpick (cut in half) through the center of your flower. The blossom should then push easily into your foam. Carnations, roses, daisies, hydrangea, trachillium, and daisies work wonderfully in wet foam. Most of these flower stems can be placed directly into the wet foam. Begin at the edges and work your way toward the center.
3. Once your bag begins to take shape, it’s time to add a ribbon handle. If using dry foam, adhere ribbon with hot glue and decorative pins. If using wet foam, the pins work best. Stiff or wired ribbon works best.
4. Floral handbags are the perfect way to present a friend with a new accessory. Fun pins, earrings, bracelets, and rings make wonderful bag accessories that the recipient can add to their jewelry collection. Try varying sizes, customizing colors, and going over the top with decorating. Your next bridal shower or mother-daughter luncheon with shine with these fun (and easy) fresh floral showpieces.
For a great selection of fresh flowers and home décor, visit BYU Campus Craft & Floral:
Campus Craft & Floral
Provo, UT 84602