Gather up the kids for a fun afternoon of cookie making.
Georganne Bell shares how to make cute bunny bum cookies.
1 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup cocoa
3 or 3 1/2 cups flour
Cream butter, shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again. Stir in the cocoa until well blended. Add flour 1 cup at a time.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE COOKIES RIGHT AWAY, ADD 3 1/2 cups flour. If you are going to “chill” the dough, or just wait for another day to make your cookies, STOP AT 3 cups. It will be totally soft and look all wrong, and you will want to ignore me completely and add more flour, but I’m telling you — DON’T DO IT. Practice self-restraint. You will be glad you did, and I will be proud of you.
Roll out on lightly floured surface. Bake at 375 F for 7-10 minutes. (I roll my cookies 3/16″ thick and bake for 7 minutes.)
Bunny Bum Sugar Cookies Tutorial
1. Use your favorite roll-out cookie recipe (or add a little flour to store-bought sugar cookie dough) to bake a large circle, a heart shape, and a small circle for each bunny.
2. Spread softened white frosting on the large circle and the heart cookie.
3. Dip the tiny heart in pink frosting and cover in sprinkles or sanding sugar.
4. Pipe pink foot pads on the heart cookie (with frosting placed in a ziplock bag).
5. Stack the cookies together!