1 yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter
1 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Depending on method of cooking, prepare coals for Dutch oven cooking and line a Dutch oven with heavy duty aluminum foil or spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Combine cake mix, 6 tablespoons of the butter and 1 cup rolled oats. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup for topping.
4. To the remaining cake mix mixture add egg. Press the dough into your prepared pan.
5. Pour the pie filling over the crust.
6. To the 1 cup of topping add remaining 1/4 cup oats, 2 tablespoons butter, nuts and brown sugar. Combine until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle over cherry mixture.
7. Bake bars for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden and the filling is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream.
Prep: 45 minutes
Vanilla Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean split, seeds removed (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
1/2 cup sugar
1. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir over low heat until sugar is completely dissolved into the cream. Do not boil the cream.
2. Chill mixture.
3. Freeze according to Ice Cream Maker instructions.
Prep time 30 minutes