Flower Pot Cookies
1 ½ cups butter or margarine
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
1. Cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs, vanilla, and milk.
3. Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture to form a soft dough.
4. Divide dough into separate sections and knead in food coloring, coloring each section to desired shade.
5. Roll out dough to ½” thickness and use a flower shaped cookie cutter (or use your own pattern) to cut out cookies.
6. Place cut-out cookies on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Slide wood skewer under cookie pressing slightly on dough to make sure the dough is firmly against the skewer. (Add a contrasting color dough center to cookies if desired.)
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until cookies are done, making sure not to undercook. Let cool completely.
8. Decorate centers of flower cookies using icing and candies or sprinkles.
• Place skewered cookies in a cupcake and place in a flower pot. Frost cupcake and sprinkle with green coconut or cover with small candies.
• Tie green ribbon to skewers to look like leaves.
• Pots can be painted to add to the décor.
• Lining the pots with plastic wrap is recommended before putting food items inside.
• Add a tag to the skewer to create a place card or note for recipient.
• A bunch of these cookie blooms in a larger pot (place in foam) would make a nice centerpiece. Be creative with colors and decorations.
Cookie recipe originally from Sweet Surprises for the Holidays by Alisa Bangerter and Mella Bedell.