1 recipe Foccacia made without cornmeal
1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups loosely packed leaves)
1 cup ready-to-eat sun-dried tomatoes cut into thin slices or chopped coarsely (if packed in oil rinse with warm water and drain on paper towels.)
1/2 cup fresh grated Asiago cheese
1/3 cup Balsamic Glaze
1. After allowing foccacia to cool, top evenly with sun-dried tomatoes followed by fresh basil and cheese.
2. Reduce oven heat to 400º F. and bake for 4 to 6 minutes more, until heated through or until cheese is melted. Remove foccacia from oven drizzle with balsamic glaze. Cut into 12 or 24 squares and serve as an appetizer or as an accompaniment to soup, salad etc.
Yield: 12 pieces at approximately 220 calories; 2.6 grams total fat; 1gram saturated fat; 3 milligrams cholesterol; 37 grams carbohydrate; 4 grams dietary fiber; 7.3 grams protein; 385 milligrams sodium.
Compare traditional recipe at 295 calories and 15 grams total fat.
3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 package quick rise active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups warm water (115º to 125º F.)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 rounded tablespoon malted milk powder
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and a pastry brush
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1. In large bowl of an electric mixer stir together 3 cups of flour, yeast, salt, malted milk powder and sugar.
2. Add warm water to flour and mix together. Stir in about 1/4 cup of the remaining flour to make soft dough, which holds together, instead of sticking to the sides of the bowl.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and satiny (8 to 10 minutes), adding just enough flour (up to 1/3 cup) to prevent dough from being sticky.
4. Turn dough into a bowl sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (30 to 45 minutes).
5. Preheat oven to 450º F. Punch dough down into a 13 by 15 inch rectangle and transfer to baking sheet or baking stone. Brush top lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake until golden (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven and brush again with remaining olive oil. Allow focaccia to cool a few minutes, then serve.
Yield: 12 pieces at approximately 140 calories; 1.3 grams total fat; 0.2 gram saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 28 grams carbohydrate; 0.3 gram dietary fiber; 4 grams protein; 275 milligrams sodium.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat in an 8 to 12-inch skillet. Reduce heat to medium and simmer slowly until syrupy and reduced to about a 1/3 cup, about 15 to 20 minutes.