Elena Davis is a true Italian cook with true Italian flair! Her website is one to bookmark come dinner time. You can check out all of her recipes at cucinabyelena.com.
This is the true, Italian way to cook pasta.
We went back to school… pasta school, that is! Make pasta the right way, and get a break down and pro-tips to cook pasta to perfection!
Elena Davis is our authentic Italian teacher. She answers hard-hitting questions like what kind of pot to use? What should be the temp of water to start with? Should you rinse or not rinse?
The Best Way to Cook Pasta
- Start with a large pot of COLD water. Hot water from the tap often contains added minerals that can damage pots and alter taste.
- Use a large pot to boil water and cook pasta. This allows movement for the long pasta (still good rule of thumb for short pasta)
- Make sure you have plenty of water in the pot.
- Salt the water. This is an Italian MUST to flavor the pasta from the inside out.
- Bring the water to a full boil, or rolling boil, before adding the spaghetti noodles or pasta.
- Stir occasionally with the proper utensil to keep the pasta from sticking.
- Test the pasta two minutes before it’s “al dente”.
- Save a scoop of pasta water. Another Italian secret!
- Drain, toss with sauce, and serve hot!
This same method applies to short pasta varieties- you may use a smaller pot.