1-1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 cups sugar
14 egg whites at room temperature
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Sift flour into a dry mixing bowl. Sift sugar into a separate bowl and set both aside.
2. Using a copper or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites first until foamy. At this point add salt and cream of tartar if using stainless steel bowl and then beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold in sugar with rubber spatula. Next, fold flour in to egg white and sugar mixture in 2 batches. Now, gently fold in vanilla, almond and lemon juice. When all has been incorporated, pour batter into a 10-inch non-stick tube pan and smooth out top.
3. Bake for approximately 1 hour until cake is pale creamy brown color and top springs back when gently touched with finger and/or a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool cake upside down in pan.
4. When cool, remove cake from pan and frost with Lemon Glaze Icing
LEMON GLAZE ICING
1-3/4 cup Confectioner’s sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Sift sugar into a small bowl. Add lemon juice and beat until smooth. Drip, drizzle or pour icing on top of cake after it has cooled.