Studio 5 Party, Holiday and Ideas Contributor Alisa Bangerter shares her holiday neighbor gift idea for Christmas 2008.
Over the years I have given many different neighbor gifts but these chocolate mice have been the one gift I still receive many comments about. They are quick and easy and are adorable. Your neighbors will love them!
For each mouse you will need:
• 1 maraschino cherry with stem
• 1 chocolate candy kiss
• Chocolate almond bark or dipping chocolate
• 2 peanut halves
• 1 tiny red candy ball
• 2 silver dragées (candy balls)
1. Melt almond bark in the microwave or in a double boiler.
2. Dip cherry into melted almond bark by holding stem. Place on waxed paper.
3. Immediately stick unwrapped flat end of the chocolate kiss onto end of chocolate covered cherry.
4. Use a toothpick to place a small amount of chocolate on the sides of the chocolate kiss and attach the silver dragées to make eyes.
5. Place red ball on tip of kiss to create the nose.
6. Dip end of peanut halves in almond bark and place between cherry and chocolate kiss to make the ears.
7. Place in freezer for a few minutes to set. Place mice in paper liners if desired.
For gift giving: Create a plate full of chocolate mice and wrap in cellophane with a bow. Attach a tag that says: “Merry Christmice” or “Wishing you a Merry Mice Christmas.”
My favorite way to give these mice is with a book or copy of the story/poem “Twas’ the Night Before Christmas.” Attach a tag that states: “Twas’ the night before Christmas and all through the house…not a creature was stirring not even a mouse!” You could even change and personalize the story to be about your family.
Source: “Sweet Surprises for the Holidays”