Poutine (Fries and Gravy)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef stock
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds Idaho white potatoes, peeled and cut
1/2 pound fresh cheese curd
1. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter and flour.
2. Stir until incorporated.
3. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes for a dark roux.
4. Stir in the stock.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Bring the liquid to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to medium low and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
8. Peel the potatoes and cut fries, 4 inches by 1/2-inch.
9. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
10. Add the potatoes and blanch for 4 minutes.
11. Remove, drain and cool completely.
12. Fry the potatoes until golden brown.
13. Remove and drain on paper towels.
14. Season with salt and pepper.
15. To serve, mound the fries into the individual (16-ounce) disposable cups. Spoon the gravy over the fries and crumble the cheese. Serve immediately.