Breakfast burritos are the perfect morning pick-me-up, but really they can fit in at any time of day.
Karen Mangum shares how to fit them into your tailgate party.
Quick and Easy Breakfast Burritos
1/2 pound turkey sausage (casing removed)
1 (12-ounce) bag frozen bell pepper and onion blend
1/2 (28-ounce) bag frozen Potatoes O’Brien
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 – 1 Tbsp chipotle powder (or to taste)
1/2 Tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6-8 large eggs
1 cup Mexican cheese blend (cheddar, Monterey Jack)
10 corn and flour blend tortillas
Sriracha sauce or your favorite salsa for dipping
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned and chopped up. Add the bell pepper and onion blend and Potatoes O’Brien, stirring until soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the black beans and the cilantro. Add the seasonings, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low.
2. Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. Pour the eggs over the sausage/potato mixture. Avoid stirring too much or the potatoes will fall apart and become mushy. Cook over low heat and turn them occasionally to cook.
3. When you’re ready to fill your tortillas, soften them by placing two tortillas between layers of slightly dampened paper towels and microwave them for 20 seconds on HIGH. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup filling onto a tortilla. Sprinkle a tablespoon of cheese over top. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and start rolling, pulling gently on the filling as you roll to create a tight roll, avoiding ripping your tortilla. Wrap in aluminum foil. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Keep wrapped burritos warm in a heated oven. Or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
4. You may have extra filling depending on how full you make your burritos. Good enough to eat out right of the bowl.
5. To reheat tortillas: Place aluminum-foil wrapped burritos in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Or to reheat a single burrito, remove from aluminum foil and wrap in a slightly dampened paper towel. Place in the microwave for 45-60 seconds on 80% POWER until heated through and cheese is melted. Repeat for remaining burritos.
6. Serve with sriracha sauce or your favorite salsa.
Find more of Karen’s recipes on Instagram @insidekarenskitchen