1 lb. skinless and boneless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 10-oz. package (12) yellow corn tortillas
2 cups (4 oz.) grated reduced fat sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 to 5 grams fat per 1 oz.)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 recipe Sour Cream and Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
1. Remove any visible fat from chicken breasts with sharp knife. In a medium saucepan bring 2 1/2 cups of water, garlic powder and salt to a boil; add chicken, cover pan and reduce heat to simmer for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove chicken, setting aside to cool. Cover stock and set aside for enchilada sauce.
2. Prepare enchilada sauce following recipe instructions and set aside. After chicken has cooled, cut or shred into small pieces and set aside.
3. To assemble enchiladas: Preheat oven to 350º F. Pour 2 cups of enchilada sauce into a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Lightly spray a non-stick or stick-resistant skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium for 3 minutes. Cook each tortilla 60 seconds per side or until soft. Stack and cover cooked tortillas with a cloth towel to keep them from drying out. Do not overcook tortillas or they will become tough. Lightly re-spray skillet every 4 tortillas.
4. Adding tortillas to baking dish one at a time, lightly coat both sides in sauce. Place approximately two tablespoons grated cheese, one tablespoon chopped onion and 1/3 cup shredded chicken in center of tortilla and roll up. Repeat process arranging enchiladas side by side, seam side down in baking dish. Add more sauce to baking dish as needed to coat tortillas. When dish becomes full, dip tortillas in pan of sauce and assemble enchiladas on top of the others in baking dish. Pour 1 1/2 to 2 cups of the remaining sauce evenly over enchiladas. Make sure not to use too much sauce, as enchiladas will become soggy. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbling.
5. While enchiladas are baking; re-heat sauce over medium until hot, stirring frequently. Remove foil from enchiladas, top enchiladas with a little more sauce if desired and cover evenly with cheese. Return enchiladas to oven and bake uncovered for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Yield: 12 enchiladas at approximately 165 calories each; 4 grams total fat; 2.2 grams saturated fat; 26 milligrams cholesterol; 17 grams carbohydrate; 1.5 grams dietary fiber; 15 grams protein; 450 milligrams sodium.
Sour Cream And Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
5 cups water or Chicken Stock and water equaling 5 cups total liquid
1/2 unbleached all purpose flour
2 to 3 cloves fresh pressed or minced garlic
4 teaspoons chicken base or bouillon or 3 and 1/2 if using chicken broth
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 4-oz. can roasted chopped green chiles
2/3 cup (5.5 oz.) fat free sour cream or Nonfat Yogurt Cheese
1. Pour 3 cups cool or warm liquid (stock or water) into a 4-quart saucepan. Adding about a third of the flour at a time, rapidly whisk flour into liquid until smooth.
2. Whisk remaining liquid, garlic, chicken bouillon and garlic powder into slurry and cook over medium heat, whisking frequently until sauce comes to a low boil and begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low, stir in chopped green chile and continue to cook sauce for an additional 10 to 20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
3. In separate bowl; use a wire whisk to blend nonfat sour cream or yogurt cheese together with 1 cup warm sauce. Add sour cream mixture back to sauce in pan and blend well. Adjust seasonings if necessary and remove from heat. Cover sauce and set aside until ready to use. As sauce cools it has a tendency to thicken and can be thinned with a little water or stock.
Yield: About 6 cups or 12 1/2-cup servings at approximately 32 calories; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 6.7 grams carbohydrate; 0 dietary fiber; 1.6 grams protein; 242 milligrams sodium.