3 tablespoons brown sugar
½ tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon five spice powder
½ to ¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 6-oz package dried apricots (2 cups)
1/3 cup currents
¼ cup chopped onion
1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 2-pound lean pork sirloin tip roast
1. In a small bowl combine brown sugar with next six ingredients, set aside.
2. Combine apricots with currents, onion, garlic and capers in a food processor or blender and process until all ingredients are finely minced/chopped and blended together well.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove pork roast from packaging, rinse and pat dry. Remove any visible fat from meat with sharp knife. Slicing sirloin from right to left, being careful not to cut into two, butterfly roast into equal halves and lay open flat. Place a sheet of heavy-duty plastic wrap over top and bottom of meat. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten meat to ¾ to ½ -inch thickness.
4. Cut side up; spread stuffing down center of meat to within 1 ½ -inches on each side. Roll up jellyroll fashion securing ends and top with toothpicks. Lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Rub/coat pork on all sides with spice mixture and place seam side down in baking dish.
5. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 150 degrees F.; meat should be slightly pink. Remove from oven and move roast to serving dish and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. While roast is resting, add ¼ to 1/3-cup water to baking dish and stir to devolve sugared spices into a light sauce.
6. Cut meat into ½ slices and serve with topped with 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar spice sauce over meat if desired.
Yield: 8 servings at approximately 192 calories; 2.3 grams total fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 23.5 milligrams cholesterol; 19 grams carbohydrate; 2.4 grams dietary fiber; 22.4 grams protein; 634 milligrams sodium.
IF MADE WITH PORK LOIN EACH SERVING HAS 256 CALORIES AND 12.6 GRAMS FAT