Spicy Sausage and Cheese Tortilla
5 tbsp olive oil
6 oz thinly sliced chorizo or other spicy sausage (I used mango and jalapeno chicken sausage)
1 1/2 lb waxy potatoes (low starch potatoes) thinly sliced
1 Spanish onions, halved and thinly sliced
5 or 6 large (US extra large) eggs
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
4 oz /1 cup grated Manchego cheese or other hard cheese
Salt and ground black pepper
1. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a 8-inch non-stick frying pan and fry the sausage until golden brown and cooked through. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Add a further 2 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the potatoes and onions for 5-7 minutes, turning frequently (the pan will be very full).
3. Cover tightly and cook over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes turning occasionally, until softened and slightly golden.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, parsley, cheese, sausage and plenty of seasoning. Add the potato mixture.
5. Gently stir in the potatoes and onions until coated, taking care not to break up the potato too much.
6. Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil.
7. Add the potato and egg mixture and cook, over a very low heat, until the egg begins to set. Use a spatula to prevent the tortilla from sticking and allow the uncooked egg to run underneath.
8. Preheat the broiler to high. When the base of the tortilla has set, which should take about 5 minutes, protect the pan handle with foil and place the tortilla under the broiler until it is set and golden.
9. Cut into wedges and serve garnished with parsley.