½ dry white wine
¼ cup water
3 medium shallots minced
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 sprigs of fresh parsley plus 1 tablespoon minced parsley
fresh ground pepper to taste
½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2 dozen fresh live littleneck or Manila clams well scrubbed and rinsed
lemon wedges for serving
1. Combine wine, water, shallots, garlic, garlic, parsley springs and pepper in a large non-reactive saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Add clams, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook over medium for approximately 8 to 15 minutes stirring once or twice until most of clams have opened.
2. Transfer opened clams to shallow bowl(s) and cover to keep warm. Cook any remaining clams a few minutes longer; discard any clams that do not open.
3. Add olive oil to remaining liquid in saucepan and gently boil over medium high heat to reduce slightly, 2 minutes. Strain broth through a fine sieve over clams. Sprinkle clams with minced parsley and serve with lemon wedges and toasted slices of sourdough French or Italian bread, spread with 1to 2 teaspoons low fat garlic butter.
Each clam has approximately 5 to 7 calories; 0.1 gram total fat; 1 milligram cholesterol; 1 gram carbohydrate; 0 dietary fiber; 0.4 gram protein; 4 milligrams sodium.
Light Garlic Butter
1. Mix 1 clove fresh pressed garlic with ½ cup Land O Lake’s light whipped butter until well combined.
2. Spread 1 to 2 teaspoons butter mixture over toasted bread hot from the oven or toaster.
Note: Do not butter bread before toasting or bread will become soggy.
Each teaspoon contains approximately 0.5 gram total fat.