Throw in coordinating textured cardstock, embellishments, page ideas and an incredible zippered project folder and you’ve got everything you could want to make great pages. With hundreds of exclusive color coordinated, archival safe products delivered to your home each month, you’ll find scrapbooking your most precious memories almost as fun as creating the memories themselves!
Leslie Johnson demonstrates one of those fun projects – Friends Flip Flop Album — on Studio 5.
We all know that flip-flops scream the word SUMMER! Here is a fun way to use up some of your fun summer photos, and a pair of flip-flops, in a very untraditional way. After discovering this fun album idea in the Summer 2007 issue of Scrapbooking & Beyond, StoryTellers’ thought it would be fun to use their products to create their own mini album. Feel free to make this project your own by using items and colors that match your pictures and your personality!
The following items are from the July 2007 Ultimate Scrapbook Pack:
• Contempo page accents (1 border, 1 frame, 2 tags, 8 corners, 1 tab, 7 extras)
• Double sided blue and orange patterned paper (1 piece)
• Light Blue Chit Chat letter stickers (from June 2007 kit)
• Gold Gems by My Mind’s Eye
Other materials needed:
• Pair of large flip-flops (I used size 8)
• White cardstock – 2 pieces 8 ½ x 11″
• Cardstock scraps (light blue, dark blue, light green, light orange)
• Ribbon – assortment of coordinating colors
• Chipboard letters (f-r-i-e-n-d-s) – use positive and negative letter images
• Chipboard flowers – 2 pieces
• Small Prima flowers (any flower brand will do)
• Light blue acrylic paint
• Brads (I used matching colored brads, but metallic colors would work too.)
• Small clip (optional)
• Pictures (use a variety of sizes)
• Ruler (you probably have one on your paper cutter you can use)
• Paint Brush
• Craft Knife
• If the instructions don’t seem to make sense, look at the coordinating pictures for assistance.
• Do your own thing. You could title it something entirely different.
• Don’t try to put the brads through chipboard. Put them through the flowers and bend the backs out, then glue the flower and brad to the chipboard.
• Staple ribbon to the top of a tag to add dimension.
• After completing this project, you should still have enough punch-out pieces from the Contempo set, to make a card or to complete a scrapbook page!
A- Take two pieces of horizontally facing 8 ½”x 11″ white card stock. We need to get a long enough piece of paper, so overlap them by about 2″ and adhere together with tape or glue. You’ll end up with one piece of white cardstock 8 ½” tall and 20″ wide. Now it’s time to mark and fold. (See the green marks on the diagram.) You will have a total of 7 panels, with the first and last measuring 2 ½” x 8 ½”, and the middle 5 panels measuring 3″ x 8 ½”. Begin by measuring from the left hand side, and then put a mark at the 2 ½” position. Continue by measuring over and marking every three inches for panels 2-6, and then measuring 2 ½” for panel number 7.
A- Accordion-fold your paper. Using blue acrylic paint, lightly paint the edge of the folded paper. Allow drying time. Adhere the front of the far left panel to the back of the left flip-flop, and adhere the back of the far right panel to the back of the right flip-flop. (I used thin glue-dots to adhere mine.) Tie an assortment of ribbons around the straps of the left flip-flop. Embellish by tying a little tag that says “friends” to one of the pieces of ribbon.
B- Create the letter “f” by trimming the negative portion of the chipboard letter down to 2″ x 2 ½” and then positioning a piece of the orange circle paper, measuring the same size, on top. Trace the letter and cut the inside out with a craft knife. Place a contrasting piece of cardstock behind the letter and adhere to the chipboard. Sand the edges with a small piece of sand paper to reveal the white core of the patterned paper. Embellish the letter with small flowers, brads, and gems.
A- Here’s the fun part. Gather your materials (pictures, Contempo page accents, etc.) and start playing! I used both negative and positive chipboard letters to spell out the word “friends.” Beginning with letter “r” on panel 2 (panel 1 is glued to the flip-flop), each letter is positioned toward the bottom of panels 2 through 7. Simply cover the letters with patterned paper or cardstock, and then sand the top edges. Add a variety of cardstock colors behind each letter to help the letters POP. You can either create your own layout for this album, or you can use the attached photos to give you inspiration. Begin by placing your pictures and accents on the empty space, and see what you have room for. It’s okay to let the pictures overlap onto two panels. Notice how the arrows (photo corners) on panel 4, help guide the eye through to the end of the album. To make the large flowers (located on the top right panel), simply cover chipboard with patterned paper, sand the edges and attach small flowers using brads.
* Now it’s time to play! Go ahead and make this album your own!
For more fun ideas, check out all the great ideas at StoryTellers Club and go to www.storytellersclub.com.
COME AND MEET BROOKE AND DARIN … IN PERSON … AT THE SCRAPBOOK USA EXPO – MARCH 21!!
Don’t miss the Scrapbook USA Expo this weekend, March 20-21 at the South Towne Expo Center. Enjoy special events, great prize giveaways, and lots of classes and be sure to bring all of your friends!!
HERE’S WHAT’S HAPPENING SATURDAY, MARCH 21
MEET BROOKE AND DARIN IN PERSON
• First, between 12 Noon and 2 PM, buy one admission at the Scrapbook USA Expo, and your friend gets in for half price!! (Print and use the coupon below)
• Then stop by the Studio 5 Booth …
o Meet BROOKE AND DARIN in person from 12-2 PM.
o Sign up for great prizes including the GRAND PRIZE… a completely redecorated Scrapbook Room right in your own home from UtahWordofMouth.Com.
o Be sure to stay for the Grand Prize Giveaway at the Studio 5 Booth/Stage at 2 PM … you could be the big winner!!
WIN THE GRAND PRIZE …
A COMPLETELY REDECORATED SCRAPBOOK ROOM IN YOUR OWN HOME FROM UTAH WORD OF MOUTH.COM!!
Win your very own scrapbook room completely redecorated right in your own home from Scrapbook USA Expo-sponsor Utah Word of Mouth.Com . It’s a prize worth $2500 complete with paint, carpeting and cabinets!!
• There are TWO WAYS TO ENTER TO WIN the Grand Prize
o #1 Enter ONLINE … just go to studio5.ksl.com, click on the “Contest” button for details… (in 55 words or less, tell us why you want a new scrapbook room … be sure to include a picture of the room you want to redecorate along with your name, address, phone number and email address)… five finalists will be selected from online entries
o #2 Or enter at the STUDIO 5 BOOTH AT THE EXPO! Just fill out the entry blank with your name, address, phone number and email address …five finalists will be selected from entries received at the Studio 5 Booth
o Then all ten finalists will play “DO WE HAVE A DEAL” at the Studio 5 Stage Saturday, March 21 at 2 PM … ( you must be in attendance to win )… all ten finalists will win great prizes … but one winner will win the GRAND PRIZE
o For complete details, just check out the Studio 5 website at studio5.ksl.com, and click the “Contest” button.