12- oz. lean top sirloin or tenderloin steak(s)
3 cloves pressed or minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2teaspoon garlic powder
1 small Romaine lettuce or Romaine heart
1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced or chopped
4 green onions thinly sliced
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper sliced thinly
2 roma tomatoes sliced
3/4 cup fresh cilantro or coriander leaves
1 cup loosely packed green or opal basil leaves
1. Combine garlic, coriander, chilli flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt together in a small dish and mix together with a fork or you can use a mortar and pestal. Ingredients will form a dry paste because of the moisture in the fresh garlic. Rub paste on both sides of steak or steaks and set meat aside.
2. Heat grill or barbecue on high and cook steak medium rare, approximately 4 to 7 minutes per side depending on grill. Steak can also be broiled medium rare. Remove from heat cool.
3. Wash, dry and rip or cut lettuce into bite size pieces and place in serving dish or bowl. Top lettuce with cucumber, sliced tomatoes, red pepper and onions and toss all ingredients together well.
4. To make dressing combine fish sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, chili and brown sugar in a small bowl and stir until sugar has dissolved.
5. Slice cooled steak into thin strips. Top salad with steak and drizzle dressing over salad and top with cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings at approximately 358 calories; 9 grams total fat; 0.6 gram saturated fat; 42 milligrams cholesterol; 39.3 grams carbohydrate; 10.6 grams dietary fiber; 34.6 grams protein; 346 milligrams sodium.
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh red chilli pepper
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar