Dr. Greg Kjar, plastic surgeon with Candessa Surgical and Laser Aesthetic, talks about what it means to be board certified.
• No regulations govern what type of medical practitioner can perform plastic surgery procedures.
• Many doctors are now performing plastic surgery, who are not board certified plastic surgeons. Any licensed physician can claim to be a “cosmetic” surgeon, so the importance of making sure your doctor is properly trained and certified is very important.
• Many physicians that are performing cosmetic surgery are claiming to be “board certified.” The question the consumer needs to ask then is: “board certified in what?”
• Not only gynecologists, but general practitioners and even psychiatrists have made forays in the field of “cosmetic medicine,” lured by high demand. It is possible for any licensed physician to add cosmetic procedure to their services after as little as one day of training.
• When you use a generic medical license to practice other forms of medicine, there is an inherent danger to patient safety.
• Because a growing number of practitioners offer plastic surgery, the consumer has become confused.
• Become an educated consumer when it comes to Plastic Surgery.
• Ask your plastic surgeon if he/she is a board certified plastic surgeon.
• Look for the ASPS Member Surgeon logo
• Choosing a physician who’s a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is the first step in ensuring quality care and safe plastic surgery. All ASPS Member Surgeons are certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.
• ASPS doctors have at least 6 years of training and experience in surgery, with 3 years specifically in plastic surgery.
• Operates only in accredited medical facilities
• Adheres to a strict code of ethics
• Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
• Fulfills continuing education requirements, including patient safety techniques
For more information visit
Candessa Surgical and Laser Aesthetics
located at 1551 So. Renaissance Towne Drive , Suite #360,
Website is www.drkjar.com