Baby Onion Tarte Tatin with Roquefort Cheese
2 tablespoons Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Olive oil
28 each Small Cipollini onions (Baby onions)
2 each Puff pastry sheets
1 egg Lightly beaten
3 ounces Roquefort blue cheese, crumbled
As needed Mixed lettuce greens
1/3 cup Walnuts, toasted and chopped
As needed Extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease four mini tart pans and evenly sprinkle brown sugar into each pan.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook onions for approximately 8-10 minutes, turning, until onions are evenly caramelized.
4. Season onions with kosher salt and coarse black pepper and transfer to an oven proof pan and roast onions for approximately 8-10 minutes until they are tender but still hold their shape.
5. Remove onions from oven and let cool slightly.
6. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Cut two 4-inch diameter circles from each pastry sheet.
8. Prick pastry in several places with a fork. Chill pastry for about 20 minutes.
9. Arrange onions in a single layer in the tart pans.
10. Top with pastry circles, pressing the edges around onions.
11. Brush with beaten egg.
12. Bake pastry for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
13. To serve, invert tarts onto plates so the pastry becomes the base. Crumble cheese over the top, add mixed lettuce greens, sprinkle with nuts, then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze.
Frank Krause – Academic Director – Art Institute of Salt Lake City