1 boneless beef chuck roast (approximately 3 pounds)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
5 drops hot pepper sauce
1. Place beef, onion and celery in a Dutch oven; add water to almost cover meat.
2. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. (Meat also can be cooked in a conventional oven.)
3. Remove meat; strain and reserve cooking liquid. Trim and shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add 2 cups of strained cooking liquid (save remaining cooking liquid) and chill.
4. Skim and discard fat.
5. Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings.
6. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If mixture becomes too thick, add additional reserved cooking liquid.
7. Serve on hamburger buns.