1 lb. flank steak, lean and trimmed of any fat
2 tablespoons Sake or Dry Sherry
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce *
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
8 oz. uncooked Buck Wheat Soba Noodles Vermicelli *
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup fresh or dried and reconstituted shiitake mushrooms, sliced *
1/2 cup thinly sliced red pepper strips
1/2 cup fresh sugar or snow peas
1 cup sliced water chestnuts
3 tablespoons oyster sauce *
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup chicken broth or 3/4 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon chicken soup base
1 teaspoon dark Oriental sesame oil *
2 teaspoons cornstarch
*These items can be found at your local Oriental market and are available in the specialty food sections of most larger supermarkets.
1. Trim any fat from steak and cut meat diagonally across grain into very thin slices 1/16 – inch or thinner. Combine sake or sherry with soy sauce, water, chili sauce and garlic together in a medium size bowl. Add steak to mixture, mix all ingredients together well and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Combine chicken broth together with sugar, oyster sauce, cornstarch and sesame oil and set aside.
3. Cook soba noodles al dente according to package directions, drain and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray, cover and set aside to keep warm.
4. Spray a nonstick wok or large frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium high. Add green onions and meat to pan and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes until meat loses pink color. Remove meat from pan and set aside.
5. Lightly re-spray pan with cooking spay and add mushrooms, peppers and peas. Stir fry 2 minutes until vegetables brighten in color. If vegetables begin to dry out or stick, reduce heat to medium and add a little water or stock.
6. Stir chicken broth mixture well making sure cornstarch is dissolved and add vegetables. Bring ingredients to gentle boil over medium to medium high heat. Return meat to pan with water chestnuts and stir fry all ingredients together until heated, about 1 minute.
7. Remove from heat, add noodles to beef and vegetables tossing together in pan or large serving bowl.