1 egg plus 2 egg whites
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup evaporated nonfat skim milk
1 cup sifted all-purpose unbleached flour
1 1/2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla-optional
1. Mix eggs, skim milk, flour, sugar, salt and vanilla together with a wire
whisk, in a food processor or blender. Cover batter and refrigerate at least
2 hours and up to 3 days. Crepe batter should be the consistency of heavy
2. Spray a 6-or-7 inch non-stick or stick-resistant crepe pan or skillet with
cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Pan will be ready when drops of water
sizzle on pan’s surface.
3. Lower heat to medium and pour about a 1/3 cup batter onto pan. Quickly tip
pan from side to side to coat bottom. Cook crepe on first side until golden,
then using fingers to help, turn crepe over and cook on other side for one
minute. Remove crepe from pan and place on a flat surface covered with foil or
wax paper, cover crepe with a towel or wax paper. Repeat process re-spraying
pan with cooking spray every two or three crepes. Stir batter often, if it
becomes too thick, thin with a little skim milk.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Blintzes:
1 recipe dessert crepes
2 8-oz. pkgs. fat free cream cheese
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tbs. light butter
1 recipe “fresh blueberry topping” or light fruit topping, preserves, or fresh seasonal fruit.
1. Prepare crepes as directed and preheat oven to 350 degress F.
2. Gently blend cheeses together with egg whites, sugar, vanilla and lemon
rind, using a wire whisk or fork until smooth.
3. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place one
heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each crepe and fold in sides to
make an envelope shape. Place filled crepes seam side down in prepared baking
4. Using a pastry brush, sparingly brush each blintz lightly with butter.
cover dish with foil and place in a preheated 350 degree F oven. Bake for 20
minutes, then remove foil cover and bake 5 minutes more or until tops are
lightly browned. Before serving, blintz with powdered sugar and top with 1 to
2 tablespoons blueberry topping, fruit preserves or choice of fresh fruit.
Fresh Blueberry Topping:
1 pint fresh blueberries or 1 16-oz. pkg frozen, no sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbls cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind-optional
1. Combine blueberries, sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind in a small saucepan.
Add cornstarch to water and stir until dissovled. Add water and cornstarch
mixture and cook all ingredients together over medium-high heat until thickened
2. Remove blueberries from heat and set aside to cool slightly before serving
or cover and chill until ready to use.