Brie Stuffed French Toast
8 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
16 pieces Texas Toast style bread (1 loaf)
¼ wheel double cream brie
Pinch ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 cup fresh blackberries
1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water. Add blueberries and blackberries; bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
2. Combine eggs, milk, and half-and-half. Mix vigorously until frothy.
3. Add spices: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cream of tartar, salt, sugar. Mix through.
4. Add vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix.
5. Puree 6 strawberries in blender.
6. Add strawberry puree to egg mixture. Mix.
7. Thinly slice brie.
8. Dip bread into egg mixture—leave in long enough to soak up the liquid, but not fall apart. (make sure to stir mixture prior to dipping bread if it has been sitting. This will ensure spices return to suspension instead of settling on the bottom)
9. Two pieces of bread makes one serving—follow these instructions for all bread. Heat griddle to medium. If griddle is non-stick, no butter is necessary, otherwise melt a little butter onto the griddle. Don’t add the bread until the butter begins to brown. Place two pieces of egg-soaked bread onto the griddle. After one side is cooked (approximately 2 minutes), turn over 1 slice of bread and place a layer of brie on the cooked side of bread. Place other piece of bread on top of brie (uncooked side still facing up). Now cook each side of the double-stacked bread until done (approximately 2 minutes each).
10. Top with homemade syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream, and the remainder of the strawberries (sliced). Serve with loaded hash browns (includes sautéed onions and topped with cheese), and bacon sides. Very hearty.