These apple blondies will be your new favorite fall dessert.
It’s one of those desserts where you try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting. This is the fall flavor combo you didn’t know you needed! It’s the perfect way to ring in the new season.
Alyssa Bybee shares her recipe for brown butter apple blondies.
Find the full recipe with notes here.
Brown Butter Apple Blondies
These brown butter apple blondies are buttery and soft, with a rich caramel flavor, bursting with apples, and coated in a brown butter glaze!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cup flour measured correctly
- 1 ¼ cup peeled and chopped apple (about 1 large apple)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
Brown Butter Glaze
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take an 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan and spray with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray and set aside
- In a pot, add your butter (you can do both the butter for the glaze and blondies at the same time) and brown your butter until it has a nutty aroma and a deep amber color. See our tutorial on How to Brown Butter if you need help (link in notes below).
- Remove 3 tablespoons of butter from the pot and set aside for your glaze. Add the remaining brown butter for your blondies to a large mixing bowl.
- In your same pot add in your chopped apples and all ingredients listed below the apples section (1 tablespoon of butter, 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar, and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon). Cook for 3-5 minutes until apples are softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Take the brown butter you added to a mixing bowl and add in your brown sugar and vanilla and mix. Then add in your egg and egg yolk and salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix.
- Then add in your flour and mix until all the flour has disappeared. Fold in your apples until they are evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking dish and smooth batter out so it is dispersed evenly. Bake for 24-29 minutes until the edges are set. Let cool completely before glazing and slicing into.
- While your blondies are cooling prepare your brown butter glaze. If the 3 tablespoons of brown butter you set aside have solidified, microwave for a few seconds to liquefy it again.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla together with the brown butter. If the mixture is too thick you can add more milk, if it is too thin, add additional powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the brown butter glaze over top of the cooled blondies, then cut into squares. Eat and enjoy!