One cookie is great. But two cookies with buttercream frosting in the middle? Now that is a treat. These buttercream cookie sandwiches are the simple dessert you’ve been looking for.
Carisa Brisk shares the how-to, and some fun alternative flavor pairings.
Find more treats from Carisa on Instagram, @carisascakecompany
Carisa’s Chewy Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened 2 sticks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Pure is best)
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies (Optional)
- Sprinkles or any mix-ins desired (ie, Animal Cookies, Oreos, etc.)
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
2. Cream together butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and mix until well-combined.
3. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until well-combined. Stir in vanilla.
4. Scoop cookie dough by the tablespoon full and roll into a ball.
5. Add granulated sugar to a large bowl for rolling cookie dough in before baking. Place each ball of cookie dough into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat well. Place cookie dough onto baking sheet, spacing about 1 1/2-inches to 2 inches apart. Lightly press each cookie down. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick ) unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or) salted butter, slightly softened
- 1 (8 oz ) package cream cheese
- 2½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or Almond Extract if desired)
- 4 to 5 cups confectioners’ sugar, spooned in cup, leveled off & sifted
1. Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld mixer and large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until creamy.
2. Add cream cheese and vanilla; beat until fully incorporated. Gradually increase mixer speed to high and continue beating until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula.
3. Gradually add 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, beating on low speed (stir), until well combined. Add additional confectioners’ sugar until desired consistency.
4. Beat on high speed until well combined and smooth while scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, about 2 to 3 minutes.