We’re willing to bet you’re about to burst with zucchini! And if you’re not, your neighbors will surely bring some over. This lay-it-all-out recipe will make good use of summer’s favorite garden veggie.
Sarah Warner shares how to put together a zucchini mozzarella pesto bake.
Zucchini Mozzarella Pesto Bake
- 2 or 3 zucchini thinly sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, cut in thick slices
- 12 ounces of pulled mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3 cup basil
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs olive oil
Preheat oven to 375
1) In a quarter sheet pan or a 9×13 baking dish arrange your sliced veggies and mozzarella. You can do this in any arrangement you choose. Drizzle veggies and cheese with 1/4 cup olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 minutes
2) While the dish is baking, make your pesto. In a small frying pan over medium heat toast your pine nuts, turning occasionally and cook until golden. Set them aside to cool.
3) In a food processor or a blender add the garlic and pulse a few times. Add the pine nuts and parmesan and pulse until finely ground. Add basil and place the the top back on. with the motor running, add oil in a slow and steady stream until pesto is mostly smooth, about 1 minute. Season with salt.
4) In the pan you used to toast the pine nuts, over medium heat add the Tablespoon of olive oil..when warm add the breadcrumbs and cook until the breadcrumbs get golden brown.
5) When the zucchini is done cooking, drain the excess water from the zucchini from the pan. Just tilt the pan and let it drain out. Drizzle generously with pesto and sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs. ENJOY!