Take your traditional butter biscuit and give it an upgrade! Cheddar cheese and roasted chiles make this recipe a standout side at any get together.
Sarah Warner shares the recipe for these flavorful cheddar and chile biscuits.
Cheddar and Chile Biscuits
- 2 cups all- purpose flour
- 1+ 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fire roasted chilies, diced
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes (or 3/4 cup drained canned chiles)
- 1-2 Tbs melted butter, for brushing over tops
1) Preheat the oven to 400
2) In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3) Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or two knives scissor fashion until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4) In a small bowl stir together milk and sour cream until mixture is almost smooth.
5) Make a well in the center of the flour mixture an add the milk mixture. Using a wooden spoon stir just until the dough sticks together. Stir in the chilies and cheese.
6) Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, flour your hands and knead about 10 times or until dough holds together.
7) Pat or roll out dough to 1/2- inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter or a round cookie cutter and place on parchment lined or non- stick baking sheet.
8) Bake for 12- 15 minutes Until biscuits are golden brown. Remove from oven and baste with butter!