Four, 4 to 5 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed of any visible fat
1/2-cup fat free egg substitute or 3 egg whites mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1 recipe Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs 3/4 cup
2 ounces procuitto Italian ham sliced into four 1/2 oz. slices
1/2 cup fresh goat cheese about 4 ounces
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
2 green onions, minced
1. Prepare bread crumbs according to recipe and set aside in shallow bowl or plate.
2. Pour egg substitute or egg whites and water into a shallow bowl, beat lightly and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a non stick or stick-resistant baking dish or baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside
4. Cover each chicken breast top and bottom with a sheet heavy plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet pound/shape each breast out as evenly as possible into a 1/4-inch thick square/rectangle.
5. Combine cheese together with, basil, green onions, a pinch salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Divide cheese mixture into 4 servings and top inside bottom half of each breast with cheese mixture. Top cheese mixture with procuitto and fold other half of breast over top of ham and cheese and fasten edges together with toothpicks.
6. Dip chicken breasts in egg, cover both sides in bread crumbs and place in prepared baking dish. Lightly spray top of breasts with cooking spray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until chicken is fork tender and breading has browned. Try not to overcook.
7. Remove chicken from oven and place each breast on a plate, drizzle with Balsamic Glaze and garnish with a few fresh basil leave if desired.
Yield: 4 servings each breast at approximately 317 calories; 11.5 grams total fat; 7.4 grams saturated fat; 54 milligrams cholesterol; 28.5 grams carbohydrate; 2 grams dietary fiber; 24.7 grams protein; 764 milligrams sodium.
Compare with traditional recipe at 525 calories and 25 grams total fat.
Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
2 cups fat free garlic or herb croutons
2 teaspoons Molly McButter, Butter Buds, etc.
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 clove fresh peeled garlic plus 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Combine croutons in food processor with remaining ingredients and process until fine.
Yield: 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs at approximately 229 calories; 6 grams total fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 14 milligrams cholesterol; 38 grams carbohydrate; 2 grams dietary fiber; 11 grams protein; 1273 milligrams sodium.s
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1. Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat in an 8 to 12-inch skillet. Reduce heat to medium and simmer slowly until syrupy and reduced to about a 1/3 cup, about 15 to 20 minutes.