No messy frosting required for these candy cane sugar cookies.
It wouldn’t be Christmas without some holiday baking! Instead of frosting your sugar cookies, shape them! The kids will have fun rolling out “dough snakes,” and, they won’t get messy with frosting.
Heather Smith shares how to turn your basic sugar cookie dough into shaped candy canes. She says to skip the grocery store food coloring and go for something like Americolor. That way, you’ll get a true red rather than pink.
Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Red gel food coloring
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Coarse sanding sugar for decorating
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Notes*Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.