This Christmas morning breakfast will save you time on the big day.
Simplify the Christmas morning chaos! Just pop this delicious breakfast scramble in the oven before the kids wake up to see what Santa has left under the tree.
Wendy Paul shares the recipe for a fancy egg scramble for Christmas morning breakfast.
For more recipes and ideas from Wendy, follow her on Instagram at @therealwendypaul.
Grandma Lu’s Fancy Egg Scramble
- 1 cup ham, cooked bacon or sausage
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 c. bread cubed (I prefer sourdough)
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup onion
- 12 eggs, gently scrambled, still wet
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or white cheddar is the favorite)
- To make the cheese sauce, use a small pan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp. butter. Add the flour and the salt. Whisk together. Let the flour mixture cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Then add the milk slowly and stir while it thickens. Add the cheese, Parmesan or white cheddar and allow the cheese sauce to melt together, on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet, brown onion in butter, with bacon, ham or sausage, and mushrooms. Once the meat is browned and onion tender, add the whisked eggs and scramble until almost done. You want the egg mixture to be wet, and not totally set.
- Fold together the egg mixture and the cheese sauce. Pour into a buttered 9×13 dish. Gently mix ever so slightly. Top with the remaining cheese, breadcrumbs tossed in butter or olive oil, and paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve hot.