2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 egg plus 3 egg whites
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cups evaporated skim milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl. amaretto liqueur – optional
1/2 tsp almond extract – optional
1 small angel food cake (10 to 12 oz.)
1/2 cup reduced sugar or sugar-free raspberry preserves
2 Tbl cream sherry
5 to 6 cups fresh winter fruit (sliced pears, kiwi, grapes, pineapple, etc.)
additional fruit for garnish – optional
3-quart (12 cup) trifle dish or clear flat bottom glass bowl
1. To prepare custard; blend sugar together with cornstarch in mixing bowl. Add egg and egg whites to sugar, beating on high speed with an electric mixer for 5 minutes.
2. Pour evaporated and skim milks into a saucepan and heat on medium, stirring constantly until steaming. Gradually stir half of the hot milk into the egg mixture. Stirring, pour the hot egg and milk mixture back into the milk remaining in the saucepan. Return to medium heat and cook 10 to 15 min. stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool 5 min. stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla and amaretto or almond extract and pour custard into a clean bowl. Place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap on the surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Chill for 40 min. or longer.
4. Mix preserves together with cream sherry and set aside. Cut cake into 2-inch thick slices; cut slices into 1-by-4-inch strips. Spread sherried preserves over one side of each strip. Arrange half the cake, jam side up in the bottom of dish.
5. Arrange half of the fruit over the cake; spoon half of the custard over the fruit and repeat the process. Cover trifle and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving arrange fresh fruit decoratively in the center.