Serve up spring with this seasonal dish. Typically served as an appetizer, crab cakes are taking the main stage.
Marguerite Henderson shares her recipe for delicious spring crab cakes.
Classic Crab Cakes With Spinach Lemon Aioli
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning or any dry seafood seasoning
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound lump crabmeat (or use 1/2 pound crab meat (the real deal, not imitation) and 1/2 pound bay shrimp
In a bowl, combine first 9 ingredients until well blended. Gently fold in crabmeat. Shape into 8-10 crab cakes (about 2” in diameter). Can be made hours in advance, then chilled until ready to cook.
Fry 4-5 at a time in ½ inch hot canola oil until browned on both sides, or bake at 375o for 10-12 minutes (turn after 5 minutes of baking) or broil until golden brown, 6 inches from heat source, turning once, for about 8-10 minutes. Makes 8-10 cakes. Serve the crab cakes on a bed of fresh greens, 2 per serving. If serving a large group, make smaller crab cakes to be served in mini slider buns. (My Costco is now selling them in a package of 24. Such a deal!) Serve with a dollop of aioli on top.
- 1 heaping handful of spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 thin slices of lemon, seeds removed, rind left on
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ¼ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Place all ingredients in blender. Puree until smooth and pale green. Taste for seasoning. Can be made a day in advance. Makes 1 cup aioli.