Olive oil cooking spray
3/4 pound cooked lump, canned or King crab meat (about 1 ½ pounds if in shell)
2 cloves fresh pressed garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger root
2 cups shitake mushrooms chopped
1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
½ cup cilantro leaves
½ -red bell pepper thinly sliced
½ – orange or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
1 cup shredded carrot
4 green onions, white thinly sliced on the diagonal setting green stems aside
¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
8 large 8- to 9-inch round rice paper wrappers (plus a few extra to allow for breakage)
1. Spray a medium size nonstick or stick resistant wok or skillet lightly with cooking spray and preheat for 3 -4 minutes over medium-high. Add garlic and ginger to pan and stir fry 60 seconds until garlic begins to brown. Add mushrooms to pan and stir fry until tender 2 minutes. Remove from heat add crab meat and set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl combine all remaining ingredients together, cabbage through lime juice with the mushroom crab/mixture tossing gently until combined. Let stand a few minutes to allow flavors to blend.
3. Add hot water to a large shallow dish to the depth of 1-inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish and let soften 30 to 60 seconds until soft.
4. Place sheet on flat surface and arrange about ½ to ¾ cup crab mixture on half of sheet leaving ½ – inch boarder around mixture. Fold sides of sheet over filling starting with filled half and roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal and place roll on serving plate seam side down. Cover plate with moistened paper towels or plastic wrap to keep rolls from drying out while you are preparing remaining rolls.
½ cup pineapple apricot or pineapple mango preserves
1/3 cup orange juice
¼ cup minced mago – optional
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, pressed
½ to 1 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1. To prepare sauce combine pineapple preserves and remaining sauce ingredients together in small bowl and whisk together until combined.
2. To serve cut each roll in half cross wise on a diagonal, garnish with green onion strips, red pepper strips, serving sauce on the side.
SPRING ROLLS: Yield: About 8 spring rolls at approximately 140 calories each; 0.9 gram total fat; 0.2 gram saturated fat; 38 milligrams cholesterol; 24 grams carbohydrate; 4.8 grams dietary fiber; 12.2 grams protein; 289 milligrams sodium.
Traditional roll has 4.3 grams fat and 170 calories vs. 140 calories and 0.9 gram total fat
SAUCE: Yield: 1 cup or 8 2 tablespoon servings each at approximately 65 calories; 1 gram total fat; 0 cholesterol; 16 grams total carbohydrates; 0.5 gram fiber; 0.4 gram protein; 137 milligrams sodium
Traditional Sauce contains 5.8 grams fat and 110 calories vs. 65 calories and 1 gram fat