These wood stars are a super simple project.
Any time seems a good time to be an American. From June through July we rock the red, white, and blue. This year, two patriotic projects make our list of must-dos.
Do-it-yourselfer Michelle Bauer shows how to make a flag door hanger and some paint stick stars.
Michelle Bauer is a DIYer and home décor enthusiast. Find her on Instagram at @_thepinklemon, and on Etsy at www.Etsy.com/shop/ThePinkLemonStore.
- Paint stir sticks or yard sticks
- Paint wood
- Sand edges (distressed look)
- Use E6000 to glue together
Patriotic Door Hanger
- Fabric (I used 6 different fabric colors. I bought 1/4 yard of each fabric) Ricrac Scissors Pinking shears
- 1 piece of stiff felt
- 1 package of red embroidery floss
- Spray adhesive
- Wood trim piece to cover dowel (optional. Could use ribbon too)
- Cut the dowel to desired length
- Tie string around one end of the dowel. Knot it in place. Make a triangular shape with the string above the dowel & then tie and knot the other end.
- Cut fabric strips to measure 44”. Cut the fabric strips into different widths. I used both pinking shears and scissors to cut the fabric strips.
- Attach the fabric strips to the dowel by looping it around the dowel & tying in a knot.
- Add ricrac if desired.
- Cut a square piece of fabric that measures 6.5” x 6.5”.
- Spray fabric adhesive onto stiff felt & apply the 6.5” square.
- Allow the fabric adhesive to dry & then cut around the edges of the square.
- Cut out a star shape.
- Apply spray adhesive to the star and adhere it to the center of the square.
- Stitch around the edges of the star with embroidery floss.
- Attach a wood trim piece over the dowel. I used E6000 to attach the wood piece.