3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rise active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups warm water (115º to 125º F.)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 rounded tablespoon malted milk powder
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and a pastry brush
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1. In large bowl of an electric mixer stir together 3 cups of flour, yeast, salt, malted milk powder and sugar.
2. Add warm water to flour and mix together. Stir in about 1/4 cup of the remaining flour to make soft dough, which holds together, instead of sticking to the sides of the bowl.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and satiny (8 to 10 minutes), adding just enough flour (up to 1/3 cup) to prevent dough from being sticky.
4. Turn dough into a bowl sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (30 to 45 minutes).
5. Preheat oven to 450º F. Punch dough down into a 13- by 15-inch rectangle and transfer to baking sheet. Brush top lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake until golden (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven and brush again with remaining olive oil. Allow focaccia to cool a few minutes, then serve.
ROASTED GARLIC AND FRESH BASIL PESTO
2 large or 3 small heads of garlic
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed (1 1/2-oz. fresh basil)
4 – tablespoons butter seasoning, Molly McButter, etc.
2 tablespoons (1/2 oz.) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (1 oz.) grated Frigo Truly Light Mozzarella Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Using a sharp knife, slice each head of garlic in half crosswise. Rejoin the top of the garlic head with the bottom and wrap tightly in foil. Bake garlic for 35 to 40 minutes or until garlic cloves become soft and easy to scoop out of skin. Remove garlic from oven and allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes before unwrapping foil. Using a small spoon or knife, scoop roasted garlic out of each individual clove and set aside in a small bowl or cup.
2. Combine roasted garlic with basil, olive oil, butter seasoning and cheeses in a food processor or blender. Blend all ingredients together until smooth; transfer pesto to small covered bowl and set aside until ready to use.
Yield: About 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons or 7 1-oz. (2 tablespoons) servings at approximately 68 calories; 3.7 grams total fat; 0.9 gram saturated fat; 6 milligrams cholesterol; 3.9 grams carbohydrate; 0.2 dietary fiber; 3 grams protein; 214 milligrams sodium.
FOCACCIA WITH ROASTED GARLIC PESTO, GRILLED CHICKEN, CARMELIZED ONIONS AND PORTABELLA MUSHROOMS
1 recipe Foccacia
1/2 cup, Roasted Garlic and Fresh Basil Pesto
½ recipe Caramelized Onions
1 large fresh Portabella mushroom thinly sliced
2 chicken breast grilled or baked and sliced thinly on a diagonal
1/2 oz. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1. After allowing foccacia to cool, spread surface evenly with pesto and top with chicken, caramelized onions and mushrooms.
2. Reduce oven heat to 400º F. and bake for 5 to 8 minutes more, until heated through. Remove foccacia from oven and top with Parmesan cheese. Cut into 12 or 24 squares and serve as an appetizer or as an accompaniment to soup, salad etc.
2 large onions thinly sliced, about 1 pound
¼ cup hot water mixed with ½ teaspoon chicken base
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Cook spray, butter or olive oil
1. Lightly spray a medium sized nonstick skillet or sauté pan with cooking spray and heat on medium heat. Add onions to pan along with water and chicken base.
2. Place a piece a round piece of foil over onions and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer gently until onions are tender/ translucent and liquid has evaporated and formed a light glaze on the bottom of pan.
3. Add brown sugar and just enough water, ½ to 1 tablespoon to dissolve sugar and glaze from bottom of pan.
4. Simmer gently, another 1 to 2 minutes until caramel glaze cooks down and coats onions. Remove from heat and serve or set aside for use in another recipe.