We couldn’t be more excited about these coconut lime scones!
As bread emerges as one of the foodie trends of 2020, we are embracing it full force! We’re devoting an entire week to homemade bread recipes, and we are jumping up and down for these coconut lime scones! The best part is, once you have the base recipe, you can turn them into any flavor you want!
Sarah Warner shares the how to. She shares her expertise for how to make these scones turn out just right.
Coconut Lime Scones
- 2 1/4 cups flour + 1/4 cup for dusting
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Zest from 1 lime
- 8 Tbs cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup raw sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 egg white whisked until foamy
- 1/2 cup coconut
Preheat the oven to 400. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
1) In a medium sized bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lime zest. With a pastry cutter, incorporate the butter, mixing util it resembles a course sand.
2) In a small bowl mix the cream, egg, lime juice, and coconut extract. Slowly pour cream mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon.
3) Dust your working surface with flour. Place your dough onto the floured surface, knead it 3 or 4 times until it forms a ball. Roll it until it’s an inch thick. Cut with a cookie cutter or knife.
4) Mix your sugar and lime zest together with your fingers, rubbing it together to wake up the oils from the zest. Baste with egg whites, sprinkle with coconut and sprinkle with the lime sugar.
5) Bake for 18-20 minutes…until tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. ENJOY!