12 slices day old french bread (3/4 inch slices)
6 thin slices fully cooked ham
6 thin slices fully cooked turkey
1 medium tart apple, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
6 thin slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Apple, Cranberry or Orange Sauce:
1 cup juice (apple, cranberry or orange)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 medium size tart apple, (again) cored, peeled, finely chopped
1. Place half of the bread slices in greased or sprayed 9×13 inch baking dish.
2. Top each slice of bread with slice of ham, slice of turkey, 2-3 apple
slices and a piece of cheese. You may have to cut or fold meat and cheese to
3. In bowl, beat eggs, milk and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Cover and
refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Remove form refrigerator 30 minutes before
4. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-minutes or until a knife inserted in
the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10-minutes.
5. In saucepan (or microwave measuring cup) mix fruit juice, corn starch,
brown sugar, orange peel and cinnamon. Cook and stir until thickened. Cook an
additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in chopped apple. Serve warm over French toast.