Roast Beef and Swiss Sandwich with Marinated Tomatoes
4 (6-inch) Focaccia bread or other Italian style bread
Horseradish or horseradish sauce
16-20 oz. thinly sliced cooked roast beef
4 large lettuce leaves, iceburg or romaine
8 oz. marinated tomatoes, roasted peppers are a good substitute for a fun change!
8 slices Swiss cheese
1. Carefully slice bread in half horizontally using a serrated bread knife. For each sandwich spread cut side of bread with desired amounts of mustard, horseradish and mayonnaise. Layer with meat, lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. Top with other half of bread and wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Classic Cucumber Sandwiches with a Twist
1 bunch fresh cilantro
2-3 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl lemon juice
1 clove garlic
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbl pine nuts or almonds, optional
2 bunch fresh watercress
8 slices white bread
4 slices Provolone cheese
1 large cucumber thinly sliced
1. In a food processor combine first six ingredients. Add enough olive oil to create and thin smooth mixture. Spread 4 slices of brad with cilantro mixture. Top each slice with a layer of watercress, cheese and cucumbers. Spread additional cilantro sauce on other slice of bread, if desired. Cut sandwiches in half and wrap in plastic. Pack with an ice pack or chill up to 4 hours before serving. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Spicy Chicken Sandwiches
4 (6-inch) hoagie rolls
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
½ tsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
3 oz crumbled blue cheese, or a shredded sharp cheddar
¼ cup lite mayonnaise
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup thinly sliced yellow peppers
12 oz cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
4 large lettuce leaves
1. Slice hoagie rolls in half horizontally and set aside. Cream next 7 ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Spread one half of each hoagie with cheese mixture. Top with onion, yellow peppers and chicken and lettuce. Top with other hoagie half and wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Sweet Summer Vegetable Sandwich
1 loaf French bread (baguette style)
3 cups chopped summer tomatoes, use a variety of kinds; such as yellow, cherry, pear
½ cup chopped cucumber
Optional: ½ cup mozzarella cheese, small dice
1 Tbl minced parley
1/3 cup minced basil
1 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice baguette in half lengthwise. Slice 4 ‘5-inch’ lengths form baguette for sandwiches. Reserve remaining bread for another use.
2. Combine remaining ingredients together in a large bowl. Place equal amounts of tomato mixture on baguette slices. Top with other half of bread. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for up to 4 hours.
CREAMY LOW CALORIE SALAD DRESSING
2 c. low-fat cottage cheese
1 c. buttermilk
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tbsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Dash hot sauce
Lightly mix all ingredients in blender until smooth and
Chill until ready to serve. Makes 3 cups. Calories: 1
tablespoon = 17 calories.
SPICY NO OIL SALAD DRESSING
1 c. tomato juice
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. chopped onion
½ tsp. minced garlic
Salt & pepper
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Put in jar. Shake before using. If you want to add a little oil, you can. Add 1-2 Tbl. This will help the dressing adhere to the salad better.
LOW CALORIE RANCH SALAD DRESSING
1 (7 oz.) pkg. dry ranch style salad dressing mix
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. plain low fat yogurt
Mix ingredients until smooth to creamy. Refrigerate several
hours before serving. 10 calories per tablespoon.