1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon butter flavoring, Butter Buds, Molly McButter, etc.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon malted milk powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1/4 cup Land O Lakes Light Butter (5.5 grams fat per tablespoon) or other light butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
cooking spray if not using non-stick baking sheets
1can Betty Crocker or Sweet Rewards Reduced Fat Vanilla Flavored White Frosting
black, orange, green, etc. gel or liquid food colorings
colored gel frostings – optional
candy corn or other small candies, Halloween candy sprinkles, etc.
assorted 3 to 4-inch Halloween cookie cutters, ghosts, pumpkins, cats, witches, bats, etc.
pastry bag with attachments for decorating cookies – optional
1. Stir flour, baking powder, butter flavoring, malted milk powder and nutmeg together in a bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sour cream with sugar until smooth. Blend in vanilla and egg whites, beating again until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until just well combined.
3. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or over night. The longer the dough is refrigerated the easier it is to handle.
4. Preheat oven to 325º F. Working with about a third of the dough at a time, roll dough out on a lightly floured board or pastry clothe to about 1/4-inch thickness. (Keep remainder of dough refrigerated until ready to roll out.) Cut out cookies with floured 3- to 4-inch cutters into desired shapes. Carefully transfer cookies to non-stick baking sheets or baking sheets lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat process using a small amount of additional flour when necessary to keep cookie dough from sticking to board or cloth and/or rolling pin.
5. Bake cookies until lightly golden brown around edges (12 to 15 minutes). Let cookies stand about 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool. After cookies have completely cooled they can be decorated. Store finished cookies in airtight plastic bag or container.