Health Mart Pharmacies: Cholesterol

Too much cholesterol in the blood, or high cholesterol, can be serious. People with high cholesterol are at risk of getting heart disease. This can lead to a heart attack or stroke.

HDL cholesterol or “good” cholesterol” protects against heart attack. HDL tends to carry cholesterol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it’s passed from the body.

Christine Jacobson, with Wasatch Health Mart Pharmacy in Ogden, presents a primer for good and bad cholesterol.

About Cholesterol

Only about 20% of cholesterol comes from the food you eat. The other 80% is made by your body. Things such as age and family health history affect how much cholesterol your body makes. Cholesterol levels tend to rise as you get older. Unfortunately, there are usually no signs that you have high cholesterol. But it can be detected with a blood test. These tests can also help your doctor predict what your risk for heart disease may be.

Total Cholesterol

Your blood test report shows your cholesterol levels in milligrans. The total number is based on:

LDL (“bad” cholesterol)

HDL (“good” cholesterol)

Triglyceride (a type of fat found in your blood) levels

Bad cholesterol: Low-density lipoprotein (LDL)
Too much LDL in your blood can clog arteries. This can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke

Good cholesterol: High-density lipoprotein (HDL)
High levles of HDL can help protect you from a heart attack or stroke. HDL carries cholesterol from the body’s tissues to the liver. So, low levels of HDL can increase the risk of heart disease.

Lifestyle Changes

Your diet, weight, physical activity and exposure to tobacco smoke all affect your cholesterol level. These factors may be controled by eating a heart-heathly diet, such as fiber, polyunsaturated fat such as olive oil, and monounsaturated fats, such as avocados, olives, fish oils; dietary fiber such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, enjoying regular physical activity and avoiding tobacco smoke. In some cases, drug therapy may well be indicated for people whose lifestyle changes alone arent’ enough to reach healthy cholesterol levels.

To check out what are optimum levels for cholesterol, go to your healthcare provider or go to

If you’re concerned about high cholesterol and heart disease, make an appointment to speak with your doctor. Some information for this article provided by and Check with your health care provider for more information for your special needs.

align=center>For more information about your pharmacy needs, check with your nearest Health Mart Pharmacy or call Wasatch Health Mart Pharmacy in Ogden at (801) 479-0331

Add comment