Ice cream or ice cream sandwiches are a great option for beating the summer heat. If you’re on a diet and are watching fat intake, try products like skim milk or low fat cottage cheeses.
June is Dairy month, and we’re making summertime dessert makeovers in order for us to guarantee our 3-A-Day servings of Dairy.
Dairy Nutrition Expert Rachel Jones, MPH, RD, shares with us these simple and delicious summertime snack options.
Easy To Please Yogurt Parfait
• 1/2 cup lightly drained canned peach slices
• 1 cup vanilla flavored yogurt
• 1/2 cup raisin-bran cereal
Layer peaches, yogurt and cereal in a glass or cup. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
All American Apple Pie a la Mode Smoothie
• 1 large Granny smith apple, cored and diced
• 1 cup low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
• 1/2 cup fat-free milk
• 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp graham cracker or vanilla wafer crumbs
Caribbean Milk Cooler
• 2 cups fat-free or low-fat milk
• 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1 tablespoon coconut extract
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• Ice cubes
• Mint sprigs (optional)
In a blender container, combine all ingredients except ice cubes and mint and blend on high speed until frothy. Pour into four tall glasses filled with ice cubes. Garnish with mint sprigs if desired.
Note: For a thicker drink, freeze pineapple juice in an ice cube tray. Blend these pineapple cubes with all other ingredients except mint. Omit regular ice cubes. Serve in a chilled glass.
Fresh Fruit Pudding Milk Mixer
• 3 1/2 cups 2% milk
• 1 package (4 serving size) JELL-O® Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie filling or any flavor
• 1 medium ripe banana, cut into chunks
• 1/2 cup strawberries
Place all ingredients in blender container; cover. Blend 1 minute or until smooth. Serve immediately.
Check out www.utahdairycouncil.com for so many quick and simple tasty recipes.