Try one of these heart hairstyles on your daughter or granddaughter!
Sure – Valentine’s Day is considered a romantic holiday, but we also think it’s a day to share some sweet moments with your kids and grandkids!
Studio 5 Style and Beauty Contributor Megan Moore shares how to create charming heart-shaped braids and other themed hairstyles.
Braided Heart Pigtails
Best for long hair
- Divide hair down the entire center of head, and secure in two low pigtails just behind the ears.
- Begin braiding a standard three section braid and secure with elastic after 3-4 inches
- Next, split the remaining tails into two equal sections, and braid each section individually to the bottom and secure.
- Flip the larger braided section upwards bringing the first and second elastics together, forming a small loop, and then secure the bun you formed with another elastic. Your smaller braids should now be headed upward towards the sky.
- Bend the smaller braids back down in an arch shape to create the heart, and secure with elastic at the ‘point’ of the shape.
Half Back Heart
- Secure a half-up pony with first elastic.
- Gently separate the hair into two section above the elastic creating a small ‘hole.’
- Fish the pony up through the underside of the hole, so the tail is now directed towards the sky (a reverse topsy tail).
- Next, separate the tail into two equal sections and twist them towards the face into ropes
- Bring the ends together creating a heart shape, and secure with a second elastic.
Space Bun Hearts
- Secure your preferred 1 or 2 triangle shape sections at the top of the head and pull elastic snug against the scalp.
- Add a second elastic about 1/2 inch away from the first on the pony tail.
- Next, split the ponytail in two equal sections above the second elastic and bend the tails into an arch to form the heart shape desired.
- Pinching the base or ‘point’ of the heart shape with one hand, use the other hand to secure the heart with another elastic around the base of the first elastic.