You might have made homemade Oreos, but never like this.
Cookies are a year-round treat, but the holidays are a perfect excuse to bake up a batch or two. These homemade oreos are better than anything you can buy at the store, with a few secret ingredients that make the texture and flavor pop.
Recipe creator and cookbook author Maria Litchy shares her recipe. These cookies sandwich a spread of cream cheese frosting, which is infused with Oreos, between two dark-cocoa cookies.
Oreo Sandwich Cookies
This recipe is found in Maria’s newly-released cookie book, Let’s Eat Cookies. Maria is known far and wide for her cookie creations, and this book features all of her very own favorites. It’s a 232-page hardcover cookbook full of nine chapters of cookies. Maria also includes her favorite baking supplies, tips for entertaining with cookies, and a plethora more of her cookie knowledge. You can purchase Maria’s cookie cookbook on her website, found here.
For the Cookies
- 1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs (12 cookies crushed)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the Oreo Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz block full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs (12 Oreo cookies crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Oreo cookie crumbs, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and both sugars. Mix until smooth, 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- With the mixer off, add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Form the cookie dough into balls, about 1 tablespoon per cookie, and place on prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cookies are set but still soft in the center. Don’t over bake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the filling. Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle or whisk attachment. You can also use a hand mixer.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and salt and mix to combine.
- With mixer on low, gradually add the confectioner’s sugar and mix until combined. Switch the mixer to high speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the Oreo crumbs and mix until cookie crumbs are well incorporated.
- To assemble the cookies: Transfer the filling to a piping bag or resalable plastic bag and cut off the tip of the bag. Pipe a swirl of filling onto the flat side of one cookie, about 1 tablespoon, and top with a second cookie that is equal in size. Gently press together to form a sandwich. Repeat with additional cookies.
- Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Cookie Crumbs: To make the Oreo cookie crumbs, place the Oreo cookies AND filling in a blender or food processor and blend until you have crumbs. You can also place the cookies in a resealable plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Make sure the bag is sealed so you don’t make a mess!