Turn a boring tortilla into a fabulous salad bowl! Mandy Merriman from Baking with Blondie shares the Mason jar trick that makes it easy.
Homemade Tortilla Bowls
burrito sized tortillas (white flour, whole wheat, spinach, red tomato, etc)
extra virgin olive oil
mason jars (medium sized is best)
cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Microwave tortillas for about 15 seconds (makes it easier to shape them later).
2. Brush each tortilla, on both the front and back, with a light layer of olive oil.
3. With the open end down, place mason jars on cookie sheet (maybe 3-4 to a sheet, depending on how big the sheet is). Place one tortilla on a mason jar, and fold tortilla down the sides of the jar. Hold in place for a few seconds, pressing down, trying to help the tortilla gain it’s new shape around the jar. Repeat with remaining tortillas/mason jars.
4. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Remove from oven. Allow to cool for a couple minutes, then remove tortilla bowls from the mason jar.
Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad
2 c. chicken, cooked and roughly chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. corn, drained
2 plum tomatoes, diced
4 green onions, chopped
1 head romaine lettuce, cleaned and chopped
½ c. cilantro, minced
2 ripe avocados, chopped
1/2 c. mayo
2/3 c. plain greek yogurt
1 T taco seasoning (use pre-made, or homemade)
2 T lime juice
Makes about 4 whole meal servings, 8 side salad servings
1. To prepare salad: In a large salad bowl, lay down romaine as the bottom layer. Top with the rest of the salad ingredients. Toss before serving.
2. To prepare dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Serve aside salad, or mix into salad.
*To cook my chicken, I threw 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, drizzled in extra virgin olive oil, in the small crockpot for 4 hours on high. Removed from crock pot, let rest for 5 minutes, trimmed and chopped into cubes.