Make perfect pastries with these secrets.
If pastry baking intimidates you, listen up!
Wendy Paul shares The secrets of working with this unique dough. Perfect pastries, every time.
Find more recipes from Wendy on Instagram, @therealwendypaul, or at www.wendypaulcreations.com.
Lemon Pistacho Custard Phyllo Pockets
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c cornstarch
- 1- 4 oz. Package cook n serve lemon pudding powder
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 4 c milk or half n half
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pkg Athens Phyllo Dough, cold and defrosted
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, add the cornstarch, sugar, eggs and milk- whisking together. The custard will continue to thicken as it heats. Continue to whisk until thick, and bubbly. Remove from the heat- add the lemon zest and whisk to combine. Set aside to cool slightly while you prep your phyllo dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Defrost slightly, and lay horizontally on a cutting board. Cut into quarters with a knife (so 4 rectangles). So you have 4 sections.
- Each pastry will have 6-10 phyllo sheets. With the sheets stacked on each other, brush a little butter on the top layer- the butter will soak down to the other layers. Then add 2 scoops of thick cooked custard to the top half. Fold the pastry over like a pouch, sealing the sides and then brush butter on the top. Place the custard pouches onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with some crushed pistachios and a little sugar. This recipe makes 12-15 pastries.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then sprinkle with powdered sugar, more lemon zest and for EXTRA, add some crushed dried rose petals. Then eat. Best if eaten same day.