2 C. flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. soda
1/3 C. shortening
1/2 C. raisins (plumped)
3/4 C. buttermilk
1/2 C. powder sugar
1 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine
1-3 teaspoons evaporated milk (or plain milk)
1. In mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and
soda. Blend all dry ingredients together.
2. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins.
3. Add buttermilk stirring just until moistened.
4. Turn onto lightly floured surface. Knead only 5 or 6 times.
5. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2″ biscuit cutter. Place with sides
barely touching on a sprayed baking sheet or 8″ pie pans.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let biscuits
cool somewhat, then frost with icing sugar mixture.
To make icing:
In large measure combine powdered sugar, melted butter and enough milk to make
good spreading consistency. Drizzle over biscuits. Best when served warm.