Elena Davis is a true Italian cook with true Italian flair! Her website is one to bookmark come dinner time. You can check out all of her recipes at cucinabyelena.com.
This apple cake recipe is authentic Italian.
It’s those dog-eared, wrinkled, and grease stained recipe cards that hold a place near and dear to your heart. This recipe is one of those! It comes straight from the family cookbook of Elena Davis. Tried and true and nonna approved!
Elena shares the recipe for her Nonna’s apple cake. She shares the backstory behind it, tells a little about her Nonna, and gives her unique technique to making sure your cake is the perfect texture. It’s a simple recipe, and you probably already have all of the ingredients to make it.
Find more of Elena’s recipes on Instagram, @cucinabyelena.
You don’t have to make it yourself, you can try a slice at Hire’s Big H and Litza’s Pizza all month long! All locations are serving it with ice cream and caramel sauce to top through November. Get a bite before it goes away!
Simple One Bowl Italian Apple Cake
Torta di mele is an Italian apple cake. Elena says that her nonna, and many other nonnas, make it all the time! She loves how light and fluffy it is, how simple the ingredients are, and how quick and easy it is to prepare. She says it only takes about 10 minutes to whip up, but looks and tastes like you’ve spent all day in the kitchen.
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 3 large peeled (if desired) apples, cut into pieces
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (14 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon (pinch) kosher salt
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- ½ cup (113 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) vanilla extract
- Confectioner sugar for dusting
- Line a 9.5 inch round baking pan with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the sugar and eggs until you obtain a creamy and fluffy texture. About 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt, butter, and vanilla extract. Use a fork or spatula to combine until smooth (not the electric mixer).
- In a separated bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Stir gently until well combined. Add the apples and mix gently. Place the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean*. If the cake starts to brown too much on top tent with the top with foil during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cool and dust cake with confectioner sugar. If desired, serve with freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!