Olive oil cooking spray
2 cloves fresh pressed garlic
½ cup minced onion
½ cup minced red bell pepper
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 14 oz. can chopped Italian tomatoes
¼ cup light red or white wine
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sugar – optional
1. Spray a small sauce pan with cooking spray and preheat on Medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until lightly browned. Add onion and red peppers to pan and sauté until onions are translucent. Add all remaining ingredients to pan and stirring occasionally, cook over medium low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
1 cup sliced or chopped Portabella mushrooms
1-½ cups Frigo Truly Light Mozzarella cheese (2 grams fat per 1 oz.)
¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
¾ pound low fat Italian turkey sausage,
½ cup chopped spinach – optional
Remove casings from sausage. In a small frying pan cook meat over medium high, crumbling the meat into smaller pieces as it cooks. When sausage is done remove from heat and drain on paper towels of any visible fat and set aside.
3 to 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 package quick rise or regular active dry yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cups warm water (115 to 125 F)
2 teaspoons sugar
½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal – optional
1. In large bowl of an electric mixer combine 2 1/2 cups of flour, yeast and salt. Stir to blend dry ingredients thoroughly. In a small bowl combine hot water, sugar and oil.
2. Add water mixture to flour. Mix to blend, then beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Stir in about 1/2 more flour to make soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and satiny (8 to 10 minutes), adding just enough flour (up to 1/2 cup) to prevent dough from being sticky.
4. Turn dough into a bowl sprayed with non stick olive oil cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (30 to 40 minutes). Punch dough down, cover with inverted bowl and let rest 10 minutes. Remove bowl and cup dough into 4 equal pieces form pieces into round shape.
5. Preheat oven to 425 F, spray pizza pan(s) or baking sheets lightly with cooking spray. Roll dough out onto a floured surface into 8 to 10 -inch rounds lay dough on pizza pan(s) and let rise for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Add about ¼ cup sauce to half of each round leaving an ½ -inch edge without sauce. Top with sausage, mushrooms, cheeses and spinach if using. Fold top of calzone dough over the filled side and crimp edges to close. Lightly brush each with olive oil and dust with cornmeal if using. Place in oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Yield 4 calzones each at approximately 660 calories; 9.7 grams total fat; 4.3 grams saturated fat; 37 milligrams cholesterol; 96 grams total carbohydrate; 7 grams dietary fiber; 43.8 milligrams protein and 1592 milligrams sodium