1 recipe Sausage and Mushroom Ragu
12 oz. dry lasagna noodles
1 16-oz. container nonfat cottage cheese
6 oz. (1.5 cups) grated Frigo Truly Light Reduced Fat Mozzarella cheese
2 oz. (1/2 cup) grated reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese (4 to 5 grams fat per 1 oz.)
1 1/2 oz. (1/3 cup) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1 10-oz. package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained or 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley – optional
dash salt – optional
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (preferably fresh grated)
1. Bring large pot of water to boil. There should be enough room in pot for pasta to move freely through boiling water. Add pasta and cook according to package directions; stirring often to keep pasta from sticking together. Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
2. While pasta is cooking; mix together cheeses, spinach, parsley, egg whites, salt, pepper and nutmeg until well blended.
3. Preheat oven to 350º F. Pour 4 cups sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish; layer a third of the noodles over the sauce followed by half of the cheese mixture. Top first cheese layer with another third noodles and remaining cheese. Layer remaining noodles over top of second cheese layer and top with remaining sauce; 3 layers of noodles, 2 layers cheese, 2 layers sauce. Cover dish with foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and noodles are tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 10 servings at approximately 324 calories; 6 grams total fat; 2.9 grams saturated fat; 30 milligrams cholesterol; 43 grams carbohydrate; 4.5 grams dietary fiber; 26 grams protein; 861 milligrams sodium.
Italian Sausage And Mushroom Ragu
olive oil cooking spray
1 cup dry white or a light bodied red wine
2 6-oz. cans tomato paste
1 28-oz. can ready cut roma or regular tomatoes or 2 lb. fresh roma or regular
tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 medium red or yellow onion, chopped
2 large cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 medium red pepper, chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh basil (1 tablespoon dry)
1 tablespoon fresh oregano (1/2 tablespoon dry)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 large bay leaf
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
6 to 8 shakes chili powder or cayenne pepper
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb. 94% to 98% fat free Spicy or Mild Italian Turkey Sausage, cooked and drained of fat if necessary.
1. Lightly spray a 4-quart stockpot with olive oil cooking spray and preheat on medium. Sauté garlic 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Add tomatoes and all remaining ingredients, except fresh basil and olive oil.
2. Simmer sauce for 1 to 6 hours. Add basil and olive oil to sauce a few minutes before end of cooking time.
Yield: 8 cups or 16 1/2-cup servings at approximately 56 calories; 1.2 grams total fat; 0.3 gram saturated fat; 7 milligrams cholesterol; 9 grams carbohydrate; 1.9 grams dietary fiber; 3.9 grams protein; 264 milligrams sodium.