1 can ( 14 oz. ) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter ( no substitutes)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
1 tsp. anise (licorice) extract
Black paste food coloring
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 234 degrees on a candy thermometer. (This will take approximately 15 – 20 min.) Mixture will turn from a pale yellow color to a golden brown.
3. Stir in anise extract and enough black food coloring to make the caramel a dark black.
4. Pour mixture into a buttered 9″ x 13″ pan and let cool.
5. Cut into small squares and wrap each piece in waxed paper.